Monday 21 March 2016

To longarm or not to longarm

I've come to a crossroads on my quilting journey recently. I've enjoyed designing quilts and working with some amazing fabric houses and designers, and also magazines but I want to do more. Unfortunately like many other quilters I have a full time job and wish I had more time to be creative. As a result I outsource my overall quilting to my very trusted longarmer. I'd love to complete the whole quilting process myself but between working, a young family, designing and those tight magazine deadlines I just haven't had the time. I have quilted a few quilts myself on my domestic machine when I can but life just seems to be getting busier and busier.


About 6 months ago I investigated a 2nd hand Gammill Statler (fully computerised) machine and was amazed at what these machines can do - from simple edge to edge to more advanced custom quilting and for someone like me who likes to design the ability to design my own quilting designs. I loved how you can see the design on the quilt before you start. At the time I didn't have the space for this machine so had to let it pass, but once our new home is built at the end of the year the skies the limit!!



Photo Courtesy of Gammill.com


Next I went to the Stitches and Craft last month and got my hands on the new Handi Quilter Simply Sixteen. I was nervous as I'm the first to put my hand up and say I am not a free motion quilter but I must say it was super light weight and easy to use. I loved the stitch regulator on the cruise setting that adjusted the speed to my hand movements on the quilt top. I also like the fact that the size of the frame is very manageable especially when you have limited space and that regardless of its size the machine is still capable to quilt any size quilt top. My only concern is I'm not a free motion quilter and don't really have the time or patience to learn those intricate designs.



Handi Quilter Simply Sixteen

I've spoken to my trusted quilting friends with longarms who have been amazing with all the information provided including turning longarming into a business if I so desire. The quilting community is always fabulous at sharing experiences.


So I'm at the point now where I would truly like to invest in a longarm and need to think about what is the best option machine for me. No decisions made yet so watch this space...


Till next time...happy sewing
Jenny xxx











No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I love to read all my guests comments and I will try my best to reply.