Thursday 12 June 2014

Baby Clothes Memory Quilt - Work in Progress


I have had so many enquiries regarding baby clothes memory quilts that I decided I would bite the bullet and make one and see if this was something I wanted to offer my customers in the future.


Armed with a stack of baby clothes and a 6.5 inch square ruler I began feverously chopping away these cute little squares of clothes. As this is going to be quilted on a longarm I made sure there were no zips or buttons but I did include little pockets as features.


I decided to do a standard style quilt, 6.5 inch squares, 1.5 inch sashing and a 6.5 inch outer border. To help stabilise the various fabrics I also used a lightweight iron on interfacing applied to the back of each square.


These quilts are very time consuming and it take a lot of patience to be careful not to pull at the squares when sewing otherwise it becomes extremely difficult to line up the sashing - I found out the hard way!!


I am really happy with the overall result and am now offering this range to my customers. I had such an overwhelming response to this quilt that within 2 days I had secured 4 orders - wow!! I feel very humbled that I am trusted to take someone's treasured items and turn them into a beautiful quilt. To keep myself sane I decided to only take one order a month and I'm glad I did so I also have time to make some lovely quilts of my own.


I use 100% cotton batting in between and back with a super soft flannel to make them extra cuddly. This one is now off to the quilters and I'm thinking a simple all over stipple would be perfect.

Linking up at Freshly Pieced for WiP Wednesday! 

http://www.freshlypieced.com/

Till next time.....happy sewing.



6 comments

  1. I can definitely see how some of those cute little outfits could pull and tug out of square. This looks fantastic - do you think you will do the same design with the next one or try something different based on what you learned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the simplicity of this design and the classic look that lets the clothes shine so for my smaller quilts I think I'll just be super careful when piecing. For the larger quilts I've decided no sashing instead assorted size blocks as it is definitely hard to line up those sashing lines and for larger quilts will be very challenging.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet way to preserve baby clothes. I would imagine it will remain a proper offering for your customers. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne - it is very popular at the moment so I can imagine I will always get requests for these.

      Delete
  3. Not that I have kids yet, but doing something like this is on my "want to do" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna - you really should give it a go when the time comes - in saying that I'm so busy with others my 5 year olds baby clothes are still in a bag in the closest. He does have a handmade quilt on his bed which is the first quilt I ever made.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I love to read all my guests comments and I will try my best to reply.