Tuesday 11 March 2014

A Raggy Quilt


I've seen so many of these cute rag quilts around for babies that I couldn't help myself I just had to make one. As the weather is getting cooler these snuggly quilts are perfect. I have seen them made with cotton or flannel and inside made with flannel or cotton batting. Minky is not a good choice as it doesn't fray so you don't get the raggy look.

For me I decided to go with cotton front and back and batting all over which I already had in my stash. I had some left over stackers from the Riley Blake collection "Alphabet Soup" so decided they would be the perfect size at 10 inches square. I used 40 squares in total - 20 on the front and 20 on the back. I cut my cotton batting pieces at 9 inches.


It was simple just take one square, a piece of batting and another square to make a quilt sandwich and sew an "X" across to hold in place. Stitch all completed squares together in rows using a 1/2 inch seam allowance and stitch all the way around the completed quilt with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.


Then I snipped 1/4 inch along the seams, popped it in the wash and it ragged up nicely. So nice in fact I'm making more !!! I love these and so do my customers. This rag quilt is available for sale in my Madeit store here.


Till next time - happy sewing ...

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I love to read all my guests comments and I will try my best to reply.