Monday 16 December 2013

A fascination with Pre-Cuts


Yes pre-cuts I love them - jelly rolls, layer cakes, charm packs you name it, I have them all. I love being able to make a quilt with the whole fabric range from one designer and it takes the guesswork out of matching fabric - something I'm getting better at but have by no means mastered - yet..

As I said before my passion is quilting - in particular babies and children's quilts so when I was approached by a friend to make a double bed quilt for her son who was moving to his big boy bed how could I resist. The brief was simply a jungle theme and here is the result.


This quilt was made using Bungle Jungle by Tim and Beck for Moda Fabrics. I used a layer cake for the main part of the quilt and added 2 sets of borders from the same range. I used the Double Slice layer cake quilt tutorial from the Missouri Quilt Company which you can view here. I absolutely love the tutorials Jenny Doan and her team put together so be sure to check them out.


Let's talk pillowcases. These ones were made following yet another Missouri Quilt Company tutorial called Easy Tube Pillowcase tutorial. You can find the link here. The only problem with these is whilst they are really simple they don't have the envelope closure I prefer. I now make my pillowcases with the envelope closure it just gives a neater finish (I think) and isn't much more work at all. There's so many tutorials out there here is one I have used among others.


There you have it a beautiful but simple double bed quilt using pre cuts. I love how the red binding really makes the quilt pop.







No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I love to read all my guests comments and I will try my best to reply.